Re: [DL] Makin' period money

At 04:23 PM 1/25/2002 -0600, you wrote:
 >Okay, so I'm paintin' excess poker chips gold and silver, thinking it's a
 >start.  Then I start looking around at the currency sites Allen's got listed
 >on his links pages.  And nothing quite seems to fit.

Nothing. . . quite. . . seems. . . to. . . fit.

What exactly are you looking for?  The links (afair) go straight to direct
pictures of Civil War currency.  If you want complete accuracy, then you
will have to deal with

Individual Bank notes - each one different for each different bank, both
North and South.
Individual State notes - both North and South
Union Greenbacks - from 1863 the first green currency, which looks a lot
like our current paper currency today.  Backed in faith by the government,
instead of with hard coin.
Fractional currency - for a brief time the Union issued postage stamps as a
form of currency.
Confederate Currency - of four (or five) different series, roughly one per
year.  Incredibly easy to counterfeit.  Also backed in faith, but also
massively overproduced until the CSA Currency reform act.

Both USA and CSA currency fluctuated directly with the tides of war - what
was good for one was bad for the other, with a few interesting
exceptions.  (Antietam was bad for both sides.  The author of an article I
read attributes the Union devaluation to be likely to the Union learning
without a doubt that this was not going to be a quick war.  There are a few
other interesting variations from the good for one/bad for the other
general pattern.  Ties to cotton, the possibility of Lincoln losing the
election, CSA censorship of Gettysburg, etc)

And then there's the fluctuations of gold and silver values.  Gold was
fixed at $20.67/ounce - until the Civil War which caused it's value to rise
drastically - due to the higher personal value place on hard currency as
well as the above mentioned fluctuations in paper value.  Reaching a peak
of $47 and change in 1864, it decreased slowly back to 20.67 over the next
15 years.  A fixed price that stayed until 1933 when Congress pulled the
States off of the gold standard.

I am assuming that the above prices reflect Union values.  I haven't
researched CSA gold values, nor have I looked into Silver.

That's a bit too much detail to implement into a game, imo.

What I do is use the play money from grocery stores - The white and black
small versions of States money - 100's, 50's 20's etc and the really cheesy
plastic coins - for Union Currency.
For CSA I created a series of templates from the currency sites and printed
out a pile of front and back CSA notes - also too small to scale to be
confused with real notes.

I have a series of gold painted poker chips - in 10, 20 and 100
denominations.  The Eagle and double eagle I just penned in the value of
"10" or "20" on.  I know that the $100 gold coin is not historical, but I
used a bit of wax on black poker chips before painting to "spot" them with
"ghost rock".
I got lazy and cheap and didn't want to buy, paint, and store the 100 or so
$20 chips to get the required value I needed.

Silver is in $5 increments.

And for the DL specific - there is Republic of Deseret currency.  And I
think Lost Angels as well.

All this was researched to best hose over my players.
Most savvy merchants tend to want hard coin and hand paper money back on
all transactions.  In the Northeast, Union currency is valued anywhere from
70-100% of "book" value for prices.  The same with CSA currency in the
Southeast.   Crossing the border drop the value to mere pennies on the
dollar - (greenback in the CSA are near worthless and vice-versa. )

While going West means that paper currency of both sides become more
grudgeonly accepted - all "book" values for goods prices are weakened due
to supply problems and boomtown mentalities (esp in California)  Dodge City
is my reference point for paper - both Union and CSA are worth 50-70%.

Long story short - I can shave money off of the party just by manipulating
the local economies - and back it up if they call me.

And an additional benefit I had was the dilemma a Texas Ranger in my game
had when he had snuck North for a mission - he needed to buy something
expensive and right before he bought it he realized that he had a pile of
CSA greybacks. . . which would have spotlit him as having recently come
from the South - which he didn't want.

:)

So now I'm seriously