Re: [DL] Rolling attributes

> I noticed in my game that 2 in particlar were always first to be a d4,
Mien
> and Strength.  The ones that everyone wanted multiple dice in were
> Quickness, Vigor, Cognition.
>
> I decided to do the following:
> Mien - use as a "reaction" roll
> Knowledge - used to remember misc educational things (one dime novel uses
> Knowledge check to recognice what kind of ship the posse sees)
> Nimbleness - moving on unstable ground
>
> Strength - used as a "minimum Strength" for firearms (I had one char with
> 2d4 st using a shotgun; seemed a bit unrealistic.  This rule was that you
ST
> had to be at least equivalent to the damage, using a wpn in 2 hands
> increased your st by 1, a long gun (rifle or shotgun) increased it by one
as
> well.  An increase equated to either another die, or bump in the die size,
> and those could be exchanged for each other as well.  For example, Bob has
> 2d8 ST.  This is equivalnet to 3d6, so he can shoot a Colt .45.  A
> Winchester does 4d8, but as a long gun used in 2 hands, 2d8 is enough for
it
> as well.

How did this work out?  Seems like the main problem for me would be the
NPCs.  Since the average person only has a 2D6 Str, they couldn't use most
weapons in the game.  A shotgun would take a 4D6 Str to wield, then?
My posse has run into too many times when pulling a gun gets them in trouble
with the local law not to appreciate a high strength.  A bar brawl with low
strength is pretty painful.  For mein, the party needs it to be able to
converse with people.  Persuasion, overawe and leadership are important
skills in my game, which keeps mein higher.  I like the idea of using it as
a reaction roll.  I assume you mean how well someone reacts to the party.

From a realism stand point, it takes very little strength to fire most
firearms.  As a matter of fact, I have seen very strong people have a lot
more difficulty than weak people because they try to resist the recoil with
brute force.  This decreases accuracy and wears them out quicker.  Strength
is important for having to carry weapons, but not really for using them.

As before, this is obviously a game and I don't mind sacrificing realism to
get good game play.  Sounds like some interesting house rules.  Again, how
have they worked out?

Alex