[DL] Experience in DL

Just to start off a new debate that doesn't:

(A) deal with release dates of books in the works,

(B) The Epitaph,

one of my players brought up a suggestion.  It seems kind of odd that Vet of
the Weird West will net you 15 skill points, but if you play a few episodes
& don't get killed, you can pretty much get those points fairly fast.  In
other words, the Vet of the Weird West isn't all that much of a Vet.  He
then goes on about playing the old Traveller system in which you pretty much
run your character through the grind of ten or twenty years, build up his
experience, then play the character afterwards. Advancement is not an
option.

So, has anyone ever thought up a way to make DL more like this means?  That
is, make up PCs fairly advanced to begin with, but have no real means of
improving during the game?  Either that or make improving VERY difficult.
Like to improve a skill level, you take the number you're going to, & put a
"0" after it to determine bounty points needed.  (ie: from 3 to 4 would be
40 bounty points, not 4)

I guess this wouldn't hang well with those folks who like having a character
improve throughout playing, but if you start out fairly high to begin
with....  Mark's big complaint is "Listen, I've played 1st level characters
plenty of times. I'm tired of it."

Jeff S