Re: [DL] Experience in DL

On Monday, February 18, 2002, at 10:27  AM, Grand Master Nilus of the
Dark Angel Chapter wrote:

>> I'm admittedly stingy with experience. However, since most characters
>> can start off pretty powerful, no one seems to complain.
>>
> I have to admit that my campaign is a not stingy with the XP.  But
> thats only because up until very recently, I was at school, so we only
> got to play about 4 times a year, also its HOE not Deadlands, So the
> characters either are really tough or there dead(not the cool walking
> kind either).  So Sessions became marathon 8-12 hour all night games,
> and the stories got to be very spectacular adventures.  Now that I'm
> back and want to begin running more regularly I have to deal with
> powerful characters.  But once Lost Colony Comes out I think I'm going
> to start a new campaign with fresh characters, so it should be back to
> normal.

I run monthly myself, and my game is on average half regulars, half
walk-ins (I run at a local game store during their Midnight Madness
event (this weekend for anyone in the Gaithersburg Maryland area) which
means it's basically a store promotion in a way.) so we have a lot of
fresh blood. I can only build plots around the regulars, for the most
part, which is another reason for the idea I mentioned of having some
people swap out characters.

Of course, I'm also very close to mandating all character creation must
be done in my presence. There's been some high-stat posse members
created when I wasn't watching, and while I don't think anyone is
cheating, there's such a thing as making so many characters it resembles
the old PC RPGs where you'd hit a re-roll button for hours to get good
stats...

Oh, does anyone have an original Deadlands release to go from? One
player said a joker draw from that edition could give you a free Arcane
background, but that seems to have been removed from the current
edition. I don't doubt her, but it seems... odd. I assume it was changed
to something more interesting in later editions.
--
Brett

LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER
MAN? (Reaper Man, Terry Pratchett)