Re: [DL] Experience in DL and D20 comment

On Monday, February 18, 2002, at 02:05  PM, Jayg wrote:
>> As for D20 snubbing mentioned in another topic.  I have to agree with
>> the rest.  Where not blowing you off or snubbing you.  We just don't
>> know the answer since most of us are PEG House Rules Deadlanders.  Its
>> not that most of us hate it(3rd Edition is Great and some of the other
>> companies have made great D20 books for there games(Fading Suns, L5R),
>> but I think that certain game systems are written to really work with
>> a setting, Deadlands just isn't the same without Cards and Poker
>> Chips. It really helps people get into character

The main thing for me here is that the rules *work*.... Cards for
initiative not only fits the setting, but works well. The only
'abnormal' components being chips and cards, and both are widely
available (even if I did have to go to two stores yesterday to get a
thing of spare chips... )

Also, While I doubt this'd be easy, I'm very afraid of someone trying to
pester me to play one of the munchier 3rd Edition possibilities that'd
break the deadlands system. I don't want to have to listen to someone's
request to play a Drow Ranger in the Weird West, and if I was convinced
to do so, the other players will all receive gatling pistols and 'best
wishes' notes from their friendly neighborhood men in black dusters.

Not that 3rd Edition is necessarily munchy: Some games are, some aren't.
I heavily enjoy the one I play in, and am looking forward to another I
will be part of soon. A lot more people seem to munch-out d20 games,
however.

I hope d20 deadlands kept some rules like the use of Overawe or similar.
This is a great way to convince combat munchies to try something new!
Just tell'em it's a good way to get chips,a nd watch'em go.

> I have to agree with Dan (even though he is a Stinking Dark Angel) on
> the above.  I don't know the DLd20 rules at all, it isn't that I hate
> d20, it is just that I feel that the DL Classic rules fit the game the
> best.

Yeah, well. I'll be back to 40k when the new SoB rules come out in a
year or so. If I haven't sworn off it for Heavy Gear and The Great Rail
Wars (my copy is on order...)..

> d20 works for PEG's d20 only game Weird Wars, which I play and enjoy
> very much.
> -- Jay
> aka  Wolf Guard Ingvar Icehowl of the 7th Great Company

I'ved played Weird Wars, and it does seem to work well. Characters start
with pretty low survival chances, but get more likely to survive as they
become more veteran.

Also, it's a great way to get existing gamers interested. Since the
rules are so close to 3rd edition, a lot of people can pick it up in
minutes if given a standard 'grunt' character, and only a little more
time is required for more complex roles.

However, Deadlands seems to bring out a lot of gamers in my area. My
game seems to be popular (as I stroke my ego a bit...) and you have to
admit, a table full of Deadlands players, covered with chips, cards,
plastic indians, etc. is very striking an interesting to some non-gamers.
--
Brett

LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER
MAN? (Reaper Man, Terry Pratchett)