Re: [DL] Best Ways to Introduce new players.

At 08:42 PM 2/18/2002 -0600, you wrote:
 >You know alot of people have been talking about the best ways to introduce
 >people to our favorite game.  You know what I find the best.
 >
 >I take a group of new players and teach them the system by playing (gulp) a
 >straight western.  No wierdness, no zombies, no arcane backgrounds.  I play
 >it for a mini-campaign (6-10 sessions) then I kill the characters.  If any
 >of them pull for Harrowed, then those characters get to come back, if not,
 >then they can make characters using all the features of the game.
 >
 > So what do you all think of that?

That's pretty close to what I pull - but I have 'em replay the Night of the
Living Dead in the town of Nacogdoches, Tx.  I have a pile of archetypes
sitting in aWestern saloon, I give 'em a few minutes to role-play amongst
themselves and then I have a zombie walk in the front door.

After the first zombie it 'spatched, someone inevitably peeks outside, just
in time to see a horde of shambling zombies heading in.  In the middle of
this mob would be two full Deadlands (ie FAST) zombies.  The players really
blink when those zombies pull up pistols and shoot back.  :)

And nobody has ever survived.

That lack of survival seems to hook the players in more than anything else
I've done.  But the whole scenario gives players a chance to get a feel for
the mechanics.

Allan Seyberth
darious@darious.com
Deadlands fan site - http://www.darious.com/