Re: [DL] Experience in DL and D20 comment (long)

In a message dated 2/18/02 4:59:54 PM Eastern Standard Time, dddawson@lpl.arizona.edu (Doug Dawson) writes:
Heh.  Actually, as we were creating characters for d20 Deadlands, I was making some comment about "Everyone's human, of course," when the thought of taking that bit out struck me.  DeadShadowLandsRun, anyone?  There are already certain similarities between the settings, and Deadlands d20 is perfectly poised to add elves, dwarves, etc. right into Deadlands. Has anyone given this serious thought, writing up ideas
?

I have not thought about using a Shadowrun setting but I have found other D20 supplements useful for a little surprise I have in store for my players.  The hunting grounds and the manitou (is it manitous in plural?) fit in perfectly with the way I handle Outsiders in my D$D world.  The Hunting Ground is much closer to my outer/inner planes than the standard TSR planes are.  Therefore I tied a few thing together when one of my players died and the roll indicated he was to be a harrowed.  Upon awakening, he began dreaming of demonic images and ancient wars.  One part of the dream shows him the fall of a demonic general at his own hands and his rise through the treachery.  He sees the devastation he causes upon fair creature with pointed ears and a love for bows as his side fights for a splinter group of these beings.  He sees their loss and their allies fleeing underground.  Mainly he sees glimpses that jump over long periods of time and from the point of view of a very evil being.  The player is new to my group so he doesn't recognize the historical war that brought down the Dark Elf houses in my D$D world.  Since I only give him the information away from the other players, the long time members in my group are thus far oblivious too.  His most recent dream is of a further bid for power in which an underling convinced him that moving into the body on a new world would get him in good with the powers that be.  He dreams of being angry when he found himself weakened in the deal.  He hates not being in control and wants revenge on his formal underling if only he could get this pesky corpse's previous soul to give it up.  Overall, I feel this will give my players a chance to tie the Weird West to the fantasy world they have enjoyed for the past twenty-two years.  As for switching to the original Deadlands system, it's hard to find the time to learn a new system when you teach for a living.  What time there is seems better spent preparing the week's game.  However, the idea of incorporating Cards and Poker Chips into D20 and slowly persuading the players to switch fully over does have an appeal too.  Any advice on where to start with the cards and chips would be appreciated.

Best,

Tom Woodall