Re: [DL] Experience in DL and D20 comment

On Monday, February 18, 2002, at 05:29  PM, Grand Master Nilus of the
Dark Angel Chapter wrote:

> There was a game called Arcanuim, that came out for pc about 6 months
> ago.  The Idea was a steam punk world of Fanatasy.  It was cool.  Lots
> of good inspiration for Mad Scientists.

It looked interesting. Personally, I don't like the idea of adding
Elves, Dwarves, etc. to Deadlands in this kind of way (although Hunting
Grounds trips, etc. are valid reason) because I think the politics of
the Weird West is more interesting than most fantasy settings. You've
got 'allowed' racism against Chinese immigrants, vestiges of racism
against ex-slaves, the hatred between the North and South even if they
are mirrors of each other, etc.

> As for wierd races in Deadlands.  It could be cool to see a Quick
> Drawing Elf, or a Dwarf Shaman, Maybe a Gnome Mad Scientist(Please a
> moment of silence for the fact that the WOTC morons aren't doing a
> Dragonlance D20), or a Halfling Huckster.  It could be cool.  But there
> would have to be a good explanation to why.  Although I always enjoyed
> Shadowrun, I always thought there explanation of Meta-humans was kinda
> weak.

I like Shadowrun, but again, I feel Deadlands does better by keeping the
options low. Also, a big favorite concept of deadlands is 'power has a
price' and metahumans could, conceivably, hurt this unless done right.
For example, play a Huckster, get some nifty powers, but you are dealing
with demons! Play a blessed, get  powers, restrict yourself to a moral
code.

Anyway, I think that a Shadowrun-style explanation wouldn't have this
balancing effect. Of course, it should be said that it's your game and
whatever you and your players enjoy...

--
Brett

LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER
MAN? (Reaper Man, Terry Pratchett)