Re: [DL] Experience in DL and D20 comment

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 08:29:20AM -0500, balance@tubas.net said:
> I like Shadowrun, but again, I feel Deadlands does better by keeping the
> options low. Also, a big favorite concept of deadlands is 'power has a
> price' and metahumans could, conceivably, hurt this unless done right.
> For example, play a Huckster, get some nifty powers, but you are dealing
> with demons! Play a blessed, get  powers, restrict yourself to a moral
> code.
>
> Anyway, I think that a Shadowrun-style explanation wouldn't have this
> balancing effect.

 Well, in Shadowrun metahumans have to put up with a certain amount of
 racism as well.  If you WANTED to do Deadlands as a fantasy type setting,
 you could have Orks and Trolls taking the place of blacks (like, they were
 the slaves, and have only just been liberated and are still mistrusted and
 looked down upon).  Dwarfs could be shunned from most society and expected
 to be mad scientists' assistants or something, and elves could be something
 like the Freemasons.

 I think balance could be brought in by role-playing factors, rather than
 purely numbers-based ones.  Like in Shadowrun (where there's very little
 in terms of numbers-based advantages to playing a human, but plenty of
 social reasons).  Well, okay, and numbers-based ones.  Being a meta could
 be an Edge in Deadlands?

 Wishkah

--
       | This is pointless and will only promote in-jokes and cliquism.|