Re: [DL] Experience in DL and D20 comment

You know, the whole idea of "fantasy" races in
Deadlands works, but they need to be kept in the right
situation. One, make them part of a Deadlands Europe
book. This is where most of those legends come from.
It would only be fitting for them to be there. Two,
make sure they are Deadlands versions of these
creatures. They should all be evil, bloodthirsty,
demonic types with a hunger for humans. Maybe they
weren't that way to begin with, but the Reckoners have
a long reach. Now, if you want to play one, that is
the Marshal's decision, but it should be just as hard
as playing a character who is a wendigo.

My two cents,

Fred J.

--- Evil Robot Shane From Another Dimension
<wishkah@redbrick.dcu.ie> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 08:29:20AM -0500,
> balance@tubas.net said:
> > I like Shadowrun, but again, I feel Deadlands does
> better by keeping the
> > options low. Also, a big favorite concept of
> deadlands is 'power has a
> > price' and metahumans could, conceivably, hurt
> this unless done right.
> > For example, play a Huckster, get some nifty
> powers, but you are dealing
> > with demons! Play a blessed, get  powers, restrict
> yourself to a moral
> > code.
> >
> > Anyway, I think that a Shadowrun-style explanation
> wouldn't have this
> > balancing effect.
>
>  Well, in Shadowrun metahumans have to put up with a
> certain amount of
>  racism as well.  If you WANTED to do Deadlands as a
> fantasy type setting,
>  you could have Orks and Trolls taking the place of
> blacks (like, they were
>  the slaves, and have only just been liberated and
> are still mistrusted and
>  looked down upon).  Dwarfs could be shunned from
> most society and expected
>  to be mad scientists' assistants or something, and
> elves could be something
>  like the Freemasons.
>
>  I think balance could be brought in by role-playing
> factors, rather than
>  purely numbers-based ones.  Like in Shadowrun
> (where there's very little
>  in terms of numbers-based advantages to playing a
> human, but plenty of
>  social reasons).  Well, okay, and numbers-based
> ones.  Being a meta could
>  be an Edge in Deadlands?
>
>  Wishkah
>
> --