Re: [DL] Names in Books

At 01:15 AM 2/23/2002, Mr. Patrick Downs wrote:
>I've heard something about this before, and I noticed
>it recently while looking for adventures to run my
>group through, but people who are on this list
>sometimes have their names inside the books.
>How did this happen?

         Not to sound facetious or ingratiating, but the PEG writers really
just love the Listserver folk, and it's our way of saying thanks for their
support.

>Did they contribute to the book in some way?

         People who contribute to the books show up under "Advice &
Playtesting", "Additional Development", "Best Boy", "Key Grip", or
some-such. When a name shows up as an NPC or something, it's just a tip of
the hat.

>Are they friends with Shane?

         Shane loves *ALL* of you!:-)

         Seriously (and not to say Shane *doesn't* love y'all), in a lot of
cases it's someone the writer has never actually met. Though, like the rest
of us PEG writers, Shane's friends *do* pop up in his work (e.g., Jenny
Hise in HOE).

>Have they just been around and playing Deadlands so
>much that everyone at PEG knows who they are so, what
>the hey!, let's throw them into the book?

         That's pretty close to the truth, I suspect. In the case of _Dead
Presidents_, I just randomly pulled from a list of frequently-seen names on
the Listserver at the time I was writing it.

>I want details!
>Spill the beans!

         Can't tell you--I'd have to kill you.:-)

>Actually, I'm just curious how I would go about
>getting my own name in one of the adventures or
>supplements. It would be such an honor, and not to
>mention a big declaration to all of my non-gamer
>friends of just how big of a nerd I really am.

         Not to sound like I'm starting an on-line "Keep McG Busy" campaign
or anything, but as long as I write for PEG, listserver folks will continue
to appear in my manuscripts.

         Thanks for the question.

Deo Vindice,
Mr. Christopher L. McGlothlin, M.Ed.