Fra: Daniel Gwyn [mailto:dgwyn@colba.net]
Sendt: 14. februar 2002 03:56
Til: deadlands@gamerz.net
Emne: Re: [DL] Characters

Hi,
    Well, not to belabour the obvious, the best way to challenge the player
is to send something that can't be resolved by gunplay (or indeed violence)
at him.  By this I don't mean necessarily mean some supernatural menace
that's immune to lead, but rather have the major challenge not be combat.
For example, if the character has low outdoorsy skills (Tracking, area
knowledge, survival) send him on a wild goose chase after some wilderness
savy men or women.
    Alternatively, set the game in a big town or city where injudicious
gunplay will attract the attention of the law, (and where the opposition has
the edge of knowing and possibly owning the law.)
    Then again, you could twist the knife of his hindrances and have him
"acquire" some relation, (which he has to be loyal to), then confront him
with a gang of bandits in the relation's presence.  When he uses chips to
save his life, the Grim Servant o' Death gets the relation.  "My god,
Kenny's dead!" ;-)
    Finally there is the approach taken in "The Cheyenne Social Club" an old
James Stewart movie.  Cowboy kills one guy (with help of sidekick).  Five of
the guy's friends show up to seek vengence.  Cowboy and sidekick manage to
kill them.  Then they hear that those five guys have ten friends apiece who
intend to avenge their deaths.  Cowboy and sidekick leave town.  Fast.  ;-)
          Daniel Gwyn
"The discrepancy between faith and the facts is
greater than is generally assumed."