Re: [DL] Questions

At 01:49 PM 3/2/2002, Mr. Dom Gallegos wrote:
>A couple of quick questions:

         Looks more like three than a couple.;-)

>3. This question is directed toward the eagerly awaited LS book.

         Well, I'm not the actual book, but I'll take a shot at answering
this one.;-)

>  I have a member who is an ex-Ranger. Now that he's been in a few
> sessions and with encounter the weirdness out there he's sure quick to
> contact them with de-briefing reports regarding the various adventures.
> In fact, he's now stopping by almost every sheriff office to let them
> know that he's "affiliated" with the rangers and that he expects their
> cooperation during the latest adventure. This player is a smart player
> and I think I've given him enough rope to hang himself with, especially
> since he also has GS o Death hindrance. So how does the rangers handle
> ex-rangers?

         One thing LS makes clear is that when someone joins the Rangers,
they also join the Confederate Army, so they only ways out of the Rangers
involve severe physical or emotional trauma (we're talking loco or
one-armed bandit here), cowardice and/or desertion (the former gets you a
bullet, and the latter's never happened). No one can just walk in and quit
the Rangers like it's Taco Bell and they're mad about getting stuck on
drive-thru AGAIN.
         The Rangers take great pains to evaluate any new recruits, and the
unsuitable ones get transferred to the regular Army long before they get
near anything supernatural. Since your player seems to have made it past
that stage, the Rangers still wouldn't have let him go if they felt he
could be useful as a researcher behind the lines (one arm or two).
         If your player's Ranger is too wounded to be on active duty AND
useless as a researcher, then he would still only get a discharge if they
knew he could be trusted to keep the group's secrets. Loose lips in
ex-Rangers gets them a long imprisonment in a place no one's ever heard of,
or a bullet.
         I think it also bears repeating that while active-duty Rangers can
demand co-operation from local law enforcers, discharged ones can't, so
there's bound to be some consequences for that.
         Bottom line: if any ex-Ranger is causing trouble for the
organization, they will be dealt with swiftly and finally, often in the
ol'-fashioned .40-caliber way.
         Hey, it's War.

         Hope this helps!

Deo Vindice,