Re: [DL] Just an idea

That's a great idea.  Sadly, my state (Nebraska) is mostly part of the
Sioux Nations in the Deadlands history.  In fact, most of my life I have
lived North of the Platte River, which is the southern border of the
Sioux Nations.  This invalidates a lot of the legends I grew up with.

Spoiler space

I do have one legend/story that would work though.  Its been several
years since I last heard the story but it involves two brothers who got
lost and wandered into indian territory.  A band of pawnee attacked them
and as the two boys raced for home on a single horse, they were both
shot and impaled by a single arrow.  Still the boys rode on, making it
to the safety of Fort Kearney.  Sadly, both boys died from their
wounds.

I don't remember much more than this and I seem to remember hearing a
version where the boys lived.  But for the most part the stories agree
that the boys died.   If I knew more I would try to find the whole story
on the net.

I could see Marshals working this into their stories in any number of
ways.  Perhaps the boys fear causes the reckoners to turn them into some
sort of vengeful abomination.  Say a unique type of glom that can only
be killed if the original arrow is used to impale both heads.  Said glom
would not absorb other bodies other than to regenerate its original form
and its preferred victims would be indians.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, the boys may become some sort of
apparition that instead of actively hunt down and slay those that killed
them, they may become protectors to travelers who find themselves lost
and deep in Sioux territory.  One night the lost posse may be shocked to
see a pair of ghostly riders racing past them as they unknowingly travel
through or into the Sioux Nations.  When the posse follows, they lose
track of the boys after they pass a marker that clearly shows that they
were across the border.

And finally, to get really weird with this legend how about the boys
become harrowed?  But I'm not talking about a pair of normal harrowed
here.  What if the manitou tried to possess just one of the boys became
confused by the boy's close proximity and ended up somehow split between
the two?  Imagine what that would be like.  For the manitou to gain
dominion in one brother, he would have to lose it in the other.  Or
perhaps the manitou is forced to split its dominion points between the
two brothers and has little chance of gaining control of either.  What
kind of powers would a dual harrowed have? Would killing one brother
slay the other or will the manitou be able to live within the other
brother?  Would said manitou regain the essence of itself when the one
brother is slain or will it be lost when the brother's soul passes on?

If I find out more, I'll post the info here.

Keith "Vang" Oberschulte