[DL] Too easy!

I've been ahving a problem where my posse has way too easy of a time. Last
night they took on about half of a nasty band of murderers. Due to limited
players, the villians had a couple members away that are now 'unresolved
plot threads.'

Anyway, the band of four heroes (A gunfighter, a gambler, a blessed, and a
martial artist (who never got to use his abilities) attacked a fortified
position and had very little trouble. The three remaining baddies (plus
one, see below) got a couple of good shots, but things were way too easy
for the PCs. here's some questions:

1. Any general suggestions here?
2. I'm considered stingy on fate chips. They get three per session, plus
maybe 1 an hour of play each. yet they have stacks (even with a limit of
10 to start a session (plus the three new ones) to burn off wounds. Any
suggestions?
3. Since I may be starting a concurrent HoE campaign, I'm still learning
the combat rules. Any suggestions on ways to handle fights with large
groups of 'PC' style NPCs (characters with full stats, varying quickness
scores, etc.)?

Just to make it clear, I try to put a lot of social encounters in as well,
but sometimes you need to have combat...