RE: [DL] blessed question

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume the blessed is
Judeo-Christian.  If not, please disregard.  :)

The basis of moral law in the J-C tradition is the 10 commandments.  The one
that applies here is sometimes confused.  It has often been paraphrased to
"Thou shalt not kill."  The most accurate translation though is "Thou shalt
not commit murder."  Quite a different thing.  Thus killing in self defense,
the protection of others, even in times of war is not necessarily a sin.

The Christian aspect adds in the basic idea that if you love God with all
your heart and love others as you would love yourself, then you wouldn't
have any desire to break the original commandments.

I don't know if this would help, but maybe you could think of it as being a
modern police officer.  If you can stop a perp with non-lethal force then
you're obligated to do so, but if you cannot and you or someone else is in
danger of bodily harm, then use lethal force without hesitation.

Clint Black

"You smell that? Do you smell that? ...Ghost Rock, son. Nothing else in the
world smells like that. I love the smell of ghost rock in the morning. You
know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over
I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' Yank body. The
smell, you know that sulphurous smell, the whole hill. Smelled like...
victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."