Re: [DL]

On Tuesday, March 12, 2002, at 07:16  PM, Bobby Farris wrote:
> Whoops, sorry. I guess I should have clarified myself.

No problem. happens to all of us.

> I stopped getting being really up to date on Deadlands about the time
> the Back East books came out. I have a couple of them know, but I am
> still missing The Agency book and the Black Circle book. (I think that
> is all I am missing.)

In usefulness, of these two I'd get The Agency first. It's a much more
useful book unless you have extremely powerful characters, mainly
because The Agency can be anything from a non-combat enemy to an ally
very easily.

> I really don't want to use any of the published adventures since I have
> a player that has been through most of them. I am wondering what kind of
> websites have good plot seeds that could be used?

Not sure here. I run almost entirely hand-written adventures, but then
again I'm blessed/cursed with the kind of players I can just give a plot
hook to and let'em go.

> It has been a while since I played Deadlands so what kind of plots do
> you use in your campaigns?

Thanks to getting a DVD player and a NetFlix account I've been raiding
all sorts of horror, science fiction,fantasy, and even Westerns for plot
hooks. Some favorites I;ve borrowed from or plan to include the 'scare
moments' from 'Alien', the big fight sequence from 'From Dusk til Dawn',
a whole lot of moments from 'Big Trouble in Little China' and a whole
lot more.

The main thing is I don't steal things outright. For example, when I use
the BTiLC ideas (for an upcoming visit to Shan Fan) I'll try and write
bits to grab the general mood (a non-asian hero (or group of heroes, in
this case) that become embroiled in a confused, ancient dispute) without
involving a crazy immortal chinese sorcerer, or three nasty Enlightened
Martial Artists named after weather phenomena.

And to be honest, I'm blatant about hinting when I do this.

of course, this is all balanced by throwing in stereotypical plots, but
my players are always expecting a 'normal' gang of bandits to have a few
surprises...

--
Brett

LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER
MAN? (Reaper Man, Terry Pratchett)