Re: Re: [DL] bursts per action [MUNCHKINS]

Hi,
    I would like to point a couple of problems with your comparison.  First
of all, the actual Gatling hand-cranked machine guns had rates of fire that
were at most about 1200 rounds a minute in the later models.  This is only
about twice the rate of modern machine guns which typically fire something
like 500-600 rounds a minute and is much lower than the 6000 rounds a minute
that modern electrically driven multi-barrelled machine guns (or miniguns)
can pump out.  If we compare the Gatling machine guns with their modern
counterparts, it can be seen that the slightly higher (and it depended on
how fast you cranked) rate of fire is off-set in recoil terms by the extra
barrels and therefore extra weight.  Gatling guns had 6 to ten barrels and
were usually mounted on field carriages.  Hence, Gatlings were HEAVY.
Historically, they were generally treated as light artillery rather than an
infantry weapon.  That alone will absorb the extra recoil when compared to
modern single barrelled machine guns.
    Secondly, the early Gatlings of Deadlands use gunpowder as propellant
which is much less powerful than nitrocellulose or cordite  which came into
use as propellants in the late 19th century.  In simple terms, each shot of
the Gatling does not generate as much recoil as a modern machine gun.
          Daniel Gwyn
"Thus conscience doth make cowards of us all."
     Hamlet, Act III, scene i.