RE: Re: Re: [DL] bursts per action [MUNCHKINS]

Well I was not comparing the M-2 to an M-1862 gatling, the one I have experience with, because of the technology difference.  Likewise I am not going to compare a civil war spar torpedo to a hypercavitating, rocket driven , atomic warhead torpedo. I was going the route of attempting to compare similar technologies, such as the M-2, M-3, and project vulcan strictly for a comparison of of a machine gun vs a gatling.  My personal thinking is that the use of high pressure steam through a turbine at the rear of a gatling would generate the rates of fire capable with electricity starting during WWI, the inspiration for project vulcan. I did metion the extra mass of the barrels, and am still of the opinion that the extra recoil is in excess of the extra inertia.  The statement about the gatling being on feild carriages early is absolutly correct and illustrates the point,  It took a larger carraige to handle the gatling because of the mass and the recoil of the weapon. It takes a lot to hold a gatling in place. The really bulky gatlings though were the 1 inch gatlings army used during the plains wars.  By the way the 7th Cav. had a section of 1 inch gatlings assigned to them. Custer chose to leave them back in fort Lincoln.  The M1862 is about as bulky as the 12 pound lt. howitzer, which was used in a similar capacity as modern machine guns.  The biggest problems of the gatling in the civil war was that the gatling was new, and didn't work as well as it did later, the other was persons who really had no idea how to use the new weapon on the battlefield tactically.

I have enjoyed this discussion, but I think the question was if a gatling really need a better mount than say the M-2 machine gun.  To this I still say yes, you need a much stronger system to handle a gatling than a machine gun of similar calibre.

g'day
kevin jameson