Re: [DL] relics (SPOILERS)

This may be spoily, so all you players go on...git!

Weighing in on the S&R catlogue...

I would say the S&R 1877 (?) with the info on
Thaumaturgical Diffusion in it would be a relic just
the same as Hoyle's. The others probably wouldn't.
IIRC, that was the only year with anything "special"
in it. I understand the idea of it not being as potent
because you basically need to be a huckster first to
figure it out, but I think splitting up relics into
different classes could become too confusing too
quickly. Imagine players arguing over what "type" of
relic something is.

Fred J.

--- Jeff Shoffner <shoffner@usit.net> wrote:
> >>I'm debating whether or not to add a relics
> section,
> >>but that's basically because I never use them in
> my
> >>games. Which got me to wondering: How much use
> does
> >>everyone else make of them? And how do the players
> >>hear about them or gain them when you do use them?
>

> Yeah, I don't like the way how Relics are done in
> DL.  I mean, there is a
> broad definition as to what a relic is.  Under the
> guidelines, Hoyles is a
> relic, but then is Smith & Robards catalogue?  I
> haven't used many relics in
> my games, but then again, I do have things like
> dimestore novels that
> contain hexes, & occult tomes that may have a spell
> or some sort.  Heck, we
> even have one preacher with the "Big Stick." Nothing
> fancy, it just allows
> the preacher to hit "non-hittable" critters.  No
> special damage or anything.
> (I guess this would be called a Ghost Weapon)  The
> only down side to it is
> it does have a limited durability, so if it breaks,
> no more big stick.
>
> Maybe there should be a "sorting" of peculiar items.
>  The ones that have
> lots of mojo could be rare & have drawbacks, the
> ones that are like Smith &
> Robards more common with little mojo & little
> penalties....  Hmmm, maybe
> something like Relics, Treasures, & Curiousities....
>
> Jeff S

> with
> 	unsubscribe deadlands

=====