Re: [DL] d20 isn't realistic (OT) [response to Grand Master]

--- Grand Master Nilus of the Dark Angel Chapter
<grandmasternilus@hotmail.com> wrote:
> But I think a lot of people just hate it because it
> is popular.  Its kinda
> like the guy who tell you "I use to love this
> band...Until they got popular"
>   The band didn't change just people perception.

you're absolutely right, d20 is a streamlined version
of AD&D and it didn't really change that much, it has
some cool new features and it's a much easier to play
and GM game than its previous incarnations

however, you're not right about why most people don't
like it, i don't like it because yes my perception of
the system changed, i've grown tired of level-based
gaming and i prefer more realistic systems

i wonder, is this a sign of aging?
as a gamer gets older do they prefer the more
reality-based systems that seem plausible and have a
sound structure, as opposed to the wildly-mythic highs
and lows of old AD&D gaming?

or is it a sign that i have somehow matured beyond the
"introductory" system (most people start with AD&D
because of its popularity and i've been playing these
games for 18 years ya'whippersnaps!) and now i am
moving on to more advanced game systems?

or is it a sign that in my youth (I'm only 25) i have
grown tired of the 'accepted' way of doing things and
I'm rallying against the 'popular' gaming system?

or is just a sign that i spend WAY TOO MUCH time
playing rpgs and i've finally found the one i like?

:-P
-doc

p.s.- this thread should really be taken to the OT
list now