Re: [DL] Fantasy D20

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Shoffner" <shoffner@usit.net>
To: <deadlands@gamerz.net>
Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 6:29 PM
Subject: [DL] Fantasy D20

> [snip]
> > >but as time has gone on, I've come to a conclusion: d20 works
> > >wonderfully for Fantasy, but lacks for most any other genre.
> >
> >I have to disagree - at least the part about working for fantasy.
> >
> >Very few fantasy novels I know of allow the hero to get away with being
> >stabbed 19 times with a sword, and if he ever was stabbed with a sword - it
> >slowed him down and hurt his ability to do things, and it slowed him down
> >right away.
> [snip]
>
> Getting off topic, I always figured the Hit Points in D&D were a way of
> factoring in skill to avoid damage, not being more resistant to damage.  In
> other words, a 1st level player with 8 hit points can be killed with one hit
> because he ain't smart enough to dodge out of the way, but a 14th level
> player with say, 110 hit points can be hit a lot more times because all
> those 7 points of damage, or 5 points of damage are actually him dodging,
> but getting slightly nicked or bruised.  At any rate, this is off DL topic,
> so I'll shut up....
>
> Jeff S

Nope. Vitality Points are what you describe.
The best description of hit points I've found is in the World Tree game. Hit points are how strongly your
spirit is tied to your body. It isn't realistic, but it explains how a level 20 Fighter can fall, hit the
ground at terminal velocity, get up, dust himself off, wax a pack of nearby ogres, and still have half his
hit points left.
This is the explanation I use for hit points since it works.

---
"You can observe a lot by watching."
 -Lawrence Peter "Yogi" Berra

Lord Jobe, God of Psiberspace (The Landscape of My Mind)
"Universes Exist in My Mind."
ICQ# 17774785