Re: [DL] Mad Scientists' Inspiration *spoilers*

On Friday, April 12, 2002, at 11:55  AM, wangenstein@mad.scientist.com
wrote:

> I appreciate the opinions I'm getting, but I think I didn't
> sufficiently explain the heart of my questions. I'll try again. BTW, I
> know that the Mad Scientists think they're doing it all themselves, as
> opposed to having Casper the Friendly Manitou walk in with blueprints
> under his arm. :)

Sorry. We all rambled a bit, i guess.

> Does the manitou limit what the MS can invent? (It doesn't seem so,
> since there's a device to make intangible creatures solid, the
> Ectoplasmic Calcifier, which would seem to be a tool against ghostly
> abominations.)

I think the manitou does, but remember that manitous are pretty much (To
use D&D temrinology) chaotic evil. THey don;t care about the effects of
creating a weapon that hurts spirits because it may go elsewhere.

> Does it choose what the MS is inspired to create? (Does it come and
> whisper, "Flamethrower...", or does it simply provide the "Inspiration"
> for whatever device the MS himself conceives?)

I'd say it's a mix, really. Sometimes it helps the mad, sometimes it
actually gives a suggestion.

> Finally (for now), does the Manitou inspire an actual device, or simply
> a piece? (An example: would the Manitou only inspire the entire steam
> wagon, or could it simply inspire the Infernal Combustion engine, the
> basis for the wagon?)

As for game effects, I'd assume know without extenuating circumstances.
The basic frame and wheels would be built using mostly normal methods
and techniques, whereas the engine would use other methods.

A good way to represent this would be the bonus for relevant science
skills when inventing. If a scientist gets the bonus, part of it is
because he can buttress the ephemeral designs of mad science with the
real-world knowledge and techniques.

But again, that's my opinion.

--
Brett

LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER
MAN? (Reaper Man, Terry Pratchett)