Re: [DL] keeping players alive - armor

> >From: "T." <sydb@telerama.com>
> >To: deadlands@gamerz.net
> >Subject: [DL] keeping players alive
> >Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 09:46:00 -0400
> >

> >New to the list, new to the game, but I love the whole idea of it and
have
> >really enjoyed the sourcebooks immensely.
> >
> >However, what the books do not address and I havent seen on any Deadlands
> >websites is suggestions on how a Marshal can keep his or her players
alive!
> >  I'm not a killer GM, nor do I coddle my players, but I forsee problems
> >with practically no armor in the game and a lot of flying lead.  I had
> >similar problems running Cyberpunk, and that game even had armor.

Have you actually run the game, or is this just an impression you got from
the books?  I got a similar feeling when I read the rules, but now I find
due to chip use I rarely even injure my posse.  Obviously players who take
foolish risks are in trouble.  The system is less forgiving than D&D.
However I have not had any problems with character death.

> >Speaking of armor...I've always wondered why armor disappeared with the
> >general introduction of firearms.  Surely the older firearms, even up
until
> >the Civil War couldnt penetrate metal?  Ignore for a moment the
> >difficulties of wearing metal armor, especially in a western
setting--does
> >anyone on the list know enough about ballistics to answer the question?
> >Because this game is going to be new to my players as well, and being
used
> >to d&d someone is gonna ask me why cant they just west plate or chainmail
> >and sweat it out?

I want to add to the answers already given.  Civil war era weapons will
penetrate metal.  Even without full penetration, the impact would kill the
person wearing the armor.  To get armor thick enough to stop the bullet
would require so much weight the person couldn't move.  Even an arrow
punches through modern chainmail, which is stronger than authentic armor of
equal thickness.  The minor gain is not worth the loss of mobility and
discomfort.

Alex