RE: [DL] keeping players alive

  Wes Anderson <wes.anderson@lucasfilm.com> wrote:

We are suppose to keep them alive!?

I thought the two rules of Deadlands were:

1) KILL ALL THE PLAYERS
2) NEVER LET THEM SEE IT COMING.

I run the game and let them worry about staying alive. If I did it any other
way, would there be any real feeling of risk or terror?

Do your players have any other feeling than boredom and frustration as you turn their characters into "Star Trek Redshirt 1-6?"  If not and they're having fun, continue as you will.  If so, expect some turnover until you have no more players.

The point of terror/horror isn't the certainty of death.  It's the considerable probability of death combined with the hope of survival and triumph.  I put a lot of effort into building the personalities of my characters.  If I realize that all that work will be wasted before the night is over, I'm not going to put that much effort into playing the character.  I'm also not going to play in that GM's group very long either.

JohnTFS