RE: [DL] keeping players alive

At 06:16 PM 4/17/2002 -0700, you wrote:

>   Wes Anderson <wes.anderson@lucasfilm.com> wrote:
>We are suppose to keep them alive!?
>

>I thought the two rules of Deadlands were:
>

>1) KILL ALL THE PLAYERS
>2) NEVER LET THEM SEE IT COMING.
>

>I run the game and let them worry about staying alive. If I did it any other
>way, would there be any real feeling of risk or terror?

I somehow suspect that Wes was waxing comedic in his comments. . .
>The point of terror/horror isn't the certainty of death.  It's the
>considerable probability of death combined with the hope of survival and
>triumph.

AND the subsequent dashing of those hopes.

You can't be a hero if there isn't a risk of failure.  Your player's are
just as quick to pick up on immortality as they are on red shirt syndrome.

Allan Seyberth
darious@darious.com

"I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada."
                 -Britney Spears