Re: [DL] keeping players alive

>I have to agree... cheating to keep player alive is likely to lead to
>them feeling immortal, and eventually getting bored. I've had a lot of
>that, and plan on cranking up the danger the next few sessions by adding
>more true abominations and similar beasts that require more than a quick
>gun to take out.

It all depends on how its handle.  I've found Extremely Deadly campaigns
just lead to players making Munchkin Combat monsters just to stay alive. If
its really bad you get the Twin Brother/Sister Syndrome.  Where players die
so often they don't want to make new guys so they just recopy there
character sheets and say its there twin brother/sister/cousin/soul
mate/whatever.

There is a fine line that needs to be walked.  Players should be
threatened..and should die(I suggest 1 a session is a good norm, with at
least a second being maimed...At least until some of them build up to be
tough characters).  Make sure your not just killing one player all the time.
  We are all human(at least partially) and we all have our favorite
people/characters, but if you keep killing everyone else but let one person
live because you like his story, you'll soon find he/she is the only one who
wants to play.  I find this especially bad when Guy bring their girlfriends
to the table, Ironically when Woman tend to run,  the first one to die
always seems to be their boyfriends.

Overall my rule(unless someone does something really stupid), is to try not
to kill a PC by accident.  General Random thugs shouldn't kill them(they can
weaken them up for a big baddy though).  Try to let your players guide the
way their character will die.   Nothing makes a PC happier then getting to
do a big Self Sacrifice act before dying.

Finally as a side note.  If someone has a really cool character and he/she
dies.  Unless they want to, don't make them start a brand new guy.  Give
them some bounty or some other form of boost.  To put this in D&D terms,
Nobody wants to play a first level mage who just joined a group of 10th
level fighters.  They will not really get to take part in anything and if
they do, they probably will die

Dan