Re: [DL] More Lone Star stuff

At 11:13 PM 4/25/2002, Mr. Jeff Shoffner wrote:
>One thing I wanted to kibbitz a little about.  Well, maybe two things.  We
>now have the LeMat Undertaker which is basically a magnum sized LeMat.  I'm
>wondering if it would have been too much to increase the die TYPE instead of
>adding an extra die.

         Ahhh, but 2d8 has less of a chance of Ace-ing than 3d6, and has a
lower average result as well (9 vs. 11.5).
         The idea to create a ghost-steel LeMat came to me during a
mandatory seminar scheduled by the morons who administer my school. As I
was busy trying to get a ceiling beam to collapse onto the speaker using
only the force of my mind, I hate to wait until later to ponder its
specific game effects. This took me to _The Collegium_, which outlines the
procedure and its end result: +1 die.
         Indeed, 3d8 would've been even more awesome, but I felt bound to
honor what has already been written into DL canon.

>Plus, if you have it reinforced
>& loaded with magnum rounds from the Collegium, then you're looking at 4D6.

         See above.

>I may use this idea as a house rule just to make that Undertaker a real
>force to be reckoned with.

         The LeMat is a .40 revolver, and 3d6 is about as lethal as that
caliber round gets. What has always made the weapon uniquely deadly is that
FRICKIN' SHOTGUN BARREL on it.;-)
         Feel free, of course, to do as thou wilt in your game. I just want
to make it clear why it's statted the way it is in the actual book.

>Also, what's up with renaming the hexslinger hexes?

         If you compare the "hexslinger" hexes and the Shootist versions,
you can see most of them have been tweaked at least a bit, so a renaming
seemed in order. Once most of them had been redubbed for that reason, I
went back and changed others for aesthetic reasons, because, well, I'M THE
WRITER!!! BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!:-)
         Once that was done, danged if hadn't rechristened the lot of them.
Being the raving, power-mad loon I am, I liked the new monikers a great
deal more than the old, and when the playtesters voiced their approval and
Don Hensley gave his blessing, the deal was done.
         Of course, as it says in the book, feel free to use whatever
rendition of arcane gunmen you prefer.

>PS Mr. McGlothlin, I know it sounds like I'm down on your book here, but I
>did like it.  Just that I tend to focus more on the down sides than the up
>sides.  Guess I'm a "Glass Half Empty" kind of guy....

         Well, your email made me cry, so I hope you're happy.

         :-)

         (Seriously, thanks very much for the feedback. Rest assured it is
much appreciated on this end!)

Deo Vindice,
Mr. Christopher L. McGlothlin, M.Ed.

Freelance RPG Writer At-Large
Member, Academy of Adventure Gaming Arts & Design
Southern by the Grace of God