[DL] LS & the supernatural (spoilers)(long)

Focusing on  Texas Rangers and the supernatural element, again there
will be spoilers so here's the obligatory spoiler space.

This might end up sounding like a rant - however I hope I am at least
coherent and provide some constructive ideas/alternatives concerning my
preferences.

To get to the crunch my single greatest problem with LS:TR is the high
level of supernatural in it directly associated with the TR.  The view
I'd picked up from the snippets in books, p[prior to LS:TR release gave
me the impression that the TR were the quick thinking, tough, ornery
blokes that won the day simply because they refused to lose it.   Here
I find they not only have an arcane background (AB) that reads like a
factory production line of Shootists (ok maybe a bit unfair), but
their ranks also include abominations!!!  I thought that the LS:TR book
would have been a good opportunity to possibly realign the thinking
that in order to get anywhere in Deadlands you need an AB.

I guess I would have preferred something where legends and
superstitions for once produced a beneficial effect rather than
supernatural horrors.  The tales of TR heroics and what people believed
about them actually made it harder for people to put them down, with
the effects being more like edges in nature (always on etc) rather than
something cast.  The effects would possibly vary (strong in the
Confederacy, very strong in Texas, weaker in disputed lands and in the
Union... well that would be telling).  In general the benefits would be
less than those gained by an AB - however the associated risks would be
less.

Harrowed: I could understand the TR accepting Rangers who had become
harrowed in the line of duty, their capabilities would be well known,
their grit without question - however I would still expect them to go
on a "review" period and to have limited career prospects.  I just
cannot see a TR weighing up any harrowed they stumble across as being a
potential Ranger.

Hucksters:  I can picture a Ranger using a gut instinct to determine
whether a huckster has the capability to be a TR - and think this fits
quite well.  However the "if they say no - give them a telling off and
send them on their way" seems significantly toned down from their
initial "shoot or recruit".  I guess  it is necessary as otherwise a
Marshall will have a nightmare as everytime he uses a NPC with an a AB,
the PC's will enjoy pointing at the "shoot or recruit" motto as he
blasts the poor sucker.  However I think there is potential for some
nice roleplaying situations focused around the "shoot or recruit"
guidelines.

Abominations: Ok, my views are pretty clear from above.  I can
understand why a few abominations will be strong enough and patriotic
enough to serve their country - however I'm unsure why the majority of
those that have been recruited under the "shoot or recruit motto" stick
with it (or more importantly why the TR want them).  They must surely
realise their career path is nil and although the TR threaten to shoot
them if they leave it is surely a matter of time until some beastie
gets them anyway.  To my mind they get very little out of it and so I
would expect these critters to bug out whenever the opportunity
presents itself - which is surely a real hazard for any Rangers working
with them.  Is it worth the risk - I assume General King thinks so -
but if I was a Ranger out on the job in the world of Deadlands - I'd
rather watch my own back than trust it to an abomination.  I guess
there must be some real tension in the TR ranks, however this isn't
really alluded to in the book.

After reading this section I was left thinking - are they really that
desperate?  I also figured that General King has left himself wide open
to (at least?) two potential headaches in future

1) Using a TR badge to convince someone that your guns glowed due to a
new fangled invention is one thing - however having the person that
showed you it - turn into a werewolf would really detract from the
Texas Rangers reputation.   Essentially what are the confederacy's
citizens to think if it ever gets out that the Texas Rangers include
abominations - in my view it would most probably destroy the TR.
Possibly some interesting adventures here with the future of the TR
resting on the outcome especially if people in the Union found out?

2) Also how would the Chaplain Corps react if they found out that the
Confederacy not only uses abominations but they actually serve under
the same command.  I assume they don't know about the abominations as I
cannot see any Blessed accepting it as a necessary evil.

In general I feel that the high supernatural aspect of the TR is a bit
of sell out (by the TR) I expected better of them.  They come across as
being very upright good and noble - but there seems to be a fundamental
rottenness within the organisation if they are allowing abominations
in.  Don't know if I'll use abominations in the ranks or not - maybe
limiting them to a very low number (rather than having a band - there
would be a dozen or less).

Anyway just my thoughts.

Cheers

Roy