Re: [DL] Mass Combat Rules

At 02:00 PM 6/2/2002 -0400, you wrote:

 >On Sunday, June 2, 2002, at 01:50  PM, Jerzy Cichocki wrote:
 >
 >> Howdy folks!
 >>
 >>  In  the Unity you have new mass combat rules for Hell on Earth. Is it
 >>  possible  to  use  it  in  Deadlands:  Weird  West? Or maybe there is
 >>  separate rules somwhere on the web or suplements?
 >
 >There's no reason you shouldn't be able to... The new rules, if you've
 >heard about them but haven't read them, are basically meant to simulate
 >the posse wading through combat with an army of mooks... It's basically
 >roll a d20, compare to a table, and detemine a result including how much
 >ammo is spent.

Bleah.

In this case, I would again look to the Master - Sergio Leone.

Keep it immediate, keep it personal, and keep it focused on the heroes.

There was a Civil War the battle scene in The Good, The Bad, and the
Ugly.  The two protagonists were stuck on one side and had to get to the
other.  Blondie and Tuco - instead of participating in the battle - took it
upon themselves to change the course of the fight and in the process earned
some manly hero points by letting the dying Captain get his last wish.

Instead of just lining up 10,000 men against 10,000 men and rolling dice to
see how it goes, take a little extra time to pre-determine the course of
the battle.  The fight will start by General X opening fire with artillery,
General Y will order counter-battery fire.  Within thirty minutes the
cavalry units will clash with each other as they probe for weaknesses in
each others lines.
General X will order his units to advance against what appears to be the
easiest section of terrain to cross but General Y has laid a trap blah blah
blah General X having broken the flank on the west side of the hill commits
his reserve to breaking the line, and the situation is desparate enought
that Y has to commit his, but due to a miscommunication the reserve show up
out of position blah blah blah having lost the ground, General Y orders a
general retreat leaving behind 2000 wounded and dead men, and 40 pieces of
artillery, but in the course of the battle General X took a minnie ball in
the upper thigh and isn't expected to live the night.  As the next in line,
a rather inept political appointee officer is now in charge of General X's
troops.
etc. etc.

By planning the battle out you KNOW what is going to happen beforehand.

Now throw the heroes into the mix and let them change the outcome.  And be
prepared to have the generals of both sides react in accordance to what
happens.
This both avoids the blandness of having the whole outcome determined by a
random die roll, cuts down on the ad-libbing you have to do during the
game, and MOST IMPORTANT - allows you to keep the focus of the story on the
heroes.

If you really want to enhance the "realism" of the scene, you might want to
give each general personalities beforehand - and plan their strategies
accordingly.  Rough sketch about 5 or 6 important officers and how they are
going to act.  (Many a battle has been lost because some junior officer
either got the wrong orders or thought he knew more than the man in
charge.  Of course, many a junior officer DID know more than the man in
charge. . . )  On reading about Civil War battles, it is amazing just how
much the outcomes were determines by the personalities of the men in charge.
Through in a handful of colorful sergeants and privates for roleplaying
interaction, and then plan out the battle.
If you REALLY want to get in depth write out the order of battle, units
names, commanders, etc.

All of this creates the feeling of what I've heard called "artifical
depth".  Where by having all of the minor details in place, the audience
will subconsciously pick up on these clues and be more drawn into the
movie/story.
For gaming, this artificial depth is even more important as it not only
draws the players into character better, but it also gives the players more
to interact with.  The more detail you give them, the more they have to
work with.

Now, if you want to do all this and are just feeling lazy - steal a real
battle.  Gettysburg is a good one.  Just change the terrain a little,
change the names, and then figure in the effects of mad science and the
Reckoning, and you have a whole new battle unrecognizable from the original.
But all of your hard work is done for you.

At least that's the theory.  :-)  I've never run a large battle for my
games but I've always wanted to homage Gettysburg this way.   On which side
of Picket's charge the players are on will be determined solely on how mean
I'm feeling that day.

-------------------------------
"All you could see of those men was a thin red mist"
Description of some rebels who were about to reach and capture the Union
artillery when some Union sergeant cut loose with triple loaded cannister
at, I believe, about 10 feet.

Allan Seyberth
darious@darious.com

"If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning."
                 - Aristotle Onassis (1906-1975)