Re: [DL] My thoughts on Lone Stars...

At 01:16 AM 6/3/2002, Mr. Matt Maybray wrote:
>I finally got my grubby mitts on a copy of Lone Stars over the weekend,
>and let me say that I thought it kicked major tuckus.

         Thanks very much, good sir!

>  A few questions though:
>
>1) It says that if you pass Ranger requirements during play, you get
>Lawman 5 and Obligation -5 for free, only having to pay for the belongin's
>(Ranger Gear) edge. During character creation, do you still have to buy
>these (i.e. does Obligation -5 count toward the 10-pt hindrance maximum)?

         I would think if you are creating a character who's already a
Ranger from scratch, the Obligation -5 should count toward the 10-pt.
maximum as usual.

>2) Do Musicians recieve the benefits of the Law Man edge, or the
>complications of the obligation -5 hindrance?

         No re: Law Man, and yes re: Obligation. Please keep in mind you
would only actually get the 5 points if the Obligation's taken during char gen.

>3) While it's been established that Musicians can't acquire rank & can't
>get fancy advanced equipment, are they still issued the badge, duster, and
>Ranger's Bible?

         *As a rule* Musicians don't get any Ranger Gear at all, but
exceptions could be made if it were somehow vital to the success of a mission.

>4) The new brawlin maneuvers: What, no chokeslam?

         The Rangers have much too-high of a work rate to resort to that.;-)

>  No submission holds?

         The STF, Regal Stretch, Dragon Sleeper, Crippler Crossface, and
Walls of Jericho were all cut at the last minute.:-)

>  Not even a dropkick?

         Hey, it was NOT the Rock 'n' Roll Express sourcebook.:-)

>As a mark, tried and true, I'm very disappointed. (Well, not really, but
>there's never enough wrestling for me).

         Heh heh, I hear ya.

>Overall, I enjoyed Lone Stars immensely, especially all the wrestling
>references (you have no idea how good it does my heart to see the word
>"slapnuts" in print ;)).

         That has been, without a doubt, my crowning literary achievement
to date.

         Thanks for the post, good sir!

Deo Vindice,
Mr. Christopher L. McGlothlin, M.Ed.

Freelance RPG Writer At-Large
Member, Academy of Adventure Gaming Arts & Design

"Look upon me! I'll show you the life of the mind!"
--Charlie Meadows (John Goodman), _Barton Fink_