RE: [DL] martial arts question

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-deadlands@gamerz.net [mailto:owner-deadlands@gamerz.net]On Behalf Of SEAN HENKE
Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 7:58 PM
To: deadlands@gamerz.net
Subject: Re: [DL] martial arts question

> Oh and one other thing, can someone explain to me the difference between the marksman feat and the special ability given to the Rifleman prestige class. You need the Marksman feat to get the coup de gras ability but the coup de gras ability seems weaker that the feat...I don't get it.
The coup de gras is in my opinion relatively useless as in a hit point based system you generally kill mooks and such outright anyway. One of those rules we don't see much use of.

<<Snip>>

Ok, I don't have my books handy but here's how it goes:

Anybody can do a coup de gras providing the target is helpless, it's a full round action meaning you're only allowed to make a 5' movement before, during, or after the attempt. Without the benefit of the Marskman feat the state of being helpless can only be applied to opponents who are trussed up, held by magic, or otherwise restrained and therfore unable to defend themselves. The Marskman feat is basically for sneaky bast@rd snipers, with this feat helpless comes to mean anybody who doesn't see the attack coming. Also, without the Marskman feat, you're limited to making coup de gras attacks with melee weapons only, or some missile weapons like bows, crossbows and presumably firearms are include as well but only if you're adjacent to the target. Now, if all goes well and your attack hits, which is a deviation because ordinarily a normal coup de gras attack automatically hits but ranged attacks have more factors to consider like range, wind speed, cover, and concealment, your opponent automatically takes a critical hit. Now here's the nasty part: the target may be killed outright regardless of his or her remaining hit points. He/she makes a Fortitude save (DC 10+ damage dealt). IF, and I do mean IF he/she makes it he lives but if he fails he/she gets a one way ticket to boot hill. Like it says in the feat description, opponents ordinarily immune to critical hits or those with very high damage reductions may be immune to this feat.

I hope this clears things up with you. Unfortunately I don't have access to the Rifleman prestige class writeup so I can't do any cross-checking.

Happi trailz,

--
Joseph C. Wolf
Line Developer, Dark Heaven Legends d20