Re: [DL] martial arts question

Hey Mary,

Sean

----- Original Message -----
From: Mary Payton
Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 11:59 PM
To: deadlands@gamerz.net
Subject: Re: [DL] martial arts question

<<  Ok...one more thing..this time I mean it...lol What's the general consensus with people on this listserve on Deadlands D20, how does it rank against the original system?>>

I suppose I have to say "whatever floats your boat."  I have played both classic and d20 (although I've only run in classic).  Although I thank Pinnacle for broadening its fan base and its horizons with both systems (and thank them again for not retiring one when the other came out...Wizards of the Coast, I'm looking at you!), personally I prefer classic, mostly because of the freedom and creativity it allows for the marshal and the players.  Any point-based character system (including Hero/Champions) allows the player to "play around" with the different types of characters, rather than consigning them to the somewhat limited world of levels and classes.  For example, one can have a character with strengths in demolition, gun fighting, medicine, and the black arts, without the headache of experience points and level gaining.  Also, above all else, I look for originality in game systems, both in design and function.  What other game ! system allows you to roll all them pretty d12s?  I tell ya...my "purple d12 of death" was a might neglected while playing the d20.  All in all, I guess I just can't be convinced to give up my poker cards or fate chips--if only the d20 system could have found a way to integrate at least the Fate Chips.  Alas!

Cheers,

Mary