Re: [DL] source book question

On Thursday, June 20, 2002, at 10:45  AM, fire bandit wrote:

> I'm thinking of running Devil's Tower trilogy pretty soon. I'm not
> totally familiar with it right now, but isn't there a portal into HOE?
> If so, and I was to transfer my posse into HOE, what books for that
> setting do you thing are MUST have?

I'm running HOE at the moment... The core, to me, would be the main HoE
rulebook and 'The Wasted West" which provides more setting. These are
very similar to the origional edition Deadlands setup where one book
contained the core setting and rules, and the second book expanded the
detail.

Notice: potential (minor) spoilers ahead.

After that, I'd only buy books as needed. "The Junkman Cometh" is the
only splatbook i feel is necessary, as it substanially changes (and
improves) that character type, but that's all you should really have to
deal with.

Hucksters get modified slightly in the Wasted West setting... This is, i
think, detailed in :the Junkman Cometh." Mad Scientist becme much less
powerful... Their source of inspiration is no longer willing. Blessed
are uncommon, but I don't think they take any hits. There's a range of
fun new Arcane ackgrounds, many of which are in trouble if they go back
the other way. I'd strongly suggest going with the 'unlocking' system
and not allowing the HoE replacement backgrounds until the posse has
encountered the various factions and such. I.E. no Templars until the
posse has either run through one of the adventures about them, gone to
their HQ, or at least met with one who explained their philosophy.

The main thing (rules-wise) is that the current Deadlands combat system
is the most current one. This is updated for HoE in "Waste Warrior"
(which is vaguely analgous to "Law Dogs") which gets everyone on the
same page.

Coup in HoE is slightly different: anyone can count coup. I don't know
if anything is supposed to happen to these characters' powers if they
then travel back to the Weird West.

Hope this helps!

--
Brett

LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER
MAN? (Reaper Man, Terry Pratchett)