Re: [DL] Blessed Hucksters

At 05:11 PM 7/7/2002 -0500, you wrote:
 >Just to put this to rest, I recall that it's been stated (from an official
 >source, though I can't remember if it was Shane or Goff) that casting a Hex
 >doesn't requirre a Sinnin' roll if it was used for a good cause, like saving
 >the local schoolmarm with Helpin' Hand or using Phantom Fingers to make a
 >bad guy's gun not be in his holster (unless you're doing it so you can kill
 >him in a gunfight). Basically, as long as it's not for a selfish or evil
 >purpose, it's O.K.

Both of 'em.

Blessed: Hucksters

Q) Hucksters can be "good" guys right? "Good" guys can have the Faith
aptitude without being Blessed, right? So hucksters can have the faith
aptitude and use the Protection miracle. Problem is that sinnin' can reduce
your faith (or cut off your miracles for a while at least) so does trucking
with manitous (demons) as hucksters do constitute a sin? I could argue both
ways but I wondered what the list (and any "official" hombres) reckoned? - John

A) It would all depend on the huckster's justification and explanation,
IMO. Followers of the hermetic traditions in Europe believed a man had to
have a pure spirit and soul to be able to perform magic. Alchemists also
pushed the "divine mysteries of the Lord" aspect of their work. So I could
definitely see an argument for it not being a sin in and of
itself--especially since the huckster isn't "cutting a deal" with the
manitou but actually forcing it to do his bidding. My personal take is that
although others in the Weird West may perceive it as "evil" the determining
factor is actually what the huckster does with his powers rather than
simply exercising them. [John Goff, DL listserv, 4/28/99]

A) Hmm. Good question! I'd have to say a huckster with faith should only
use his spells in serious situations. If he used phantom fingers to help
him cheat at cards, to play a prank on someone, or some other spurious use,
I'd say playing with the manitou was a minor sin. Otherwise, I think the
Big Guy would understand. [Shane Hensley, DL listserv, 4/29/99]

Allan Seyberth
darious@darious.com

Give me a glass of your wine and I'll be internally grapeful.