Re: [DL] re: Huckster Picture now Wild Bills last hand

----- Original Message -----
From: "Erick Rummerfield" <erickr@pbemadventures.com>
To: <deadlands@gamerz.net>
Sent: Saturday, July 06, 2002 1:45 AM
Subject: [DL] re: Huckster Picture now Wild Bills last hand

> >--- Erick Rummerfield <king_erumm@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >> Guys, for those who are interested in checking out
> >> an great new character sketch for a huckster, check
> >> out
> >> http://www.pbemadventures.com/billsart/huckster.htm
> >
> >VERY nice!  I'm always partial to pencil and paper,
> >and the burning King is great.
> >
> >Marguerite of EMGB, otherwise known as Captain Sydney Mallory
>

> Yeah, but the thing that always gets me is hardly anyone ever gets the
> Deadman's Hand right.  It is supposedly the black "8"s & Aces, & the
> Jack of
> Diamonds.  Heck, even in the DL books, it's usually portrayed wrong....
>
> Jeff S
>
> ####
> Well from everything I have found in my research, no one really knows
> what the last card was, and it is "thought" emphasis on thought to have
> been the Black aces and Red Eights.  And either the King of Spades, Jack
> of Diamonds, 10 of Diamonds, or others, but nobody really knows.
>
> Speaking on the subject, here is an actual news report from the days
> after his death.
>
> __
> On Wednesday about three o'clock the report was started that J. B.
> Hickok (Wild Bill) was killed. On repairing to the hall of Nuttall &
> Mann it was ascertained that the report was too true. We found the
> remains of Wild Bill lying on the floor. The murderer, Jack McCall, was
> captured after a lively chase by many of our citizens. ... a coroner's
> jury was summoned ... evidence was to the effect that while Wild Bill
> and others were seated at a table playing cards, Jack McCall walked in
> and around directly back of his victim and when within three feet of him
> raised his revolver, and exclaiming, "Damn you take that," he fired, the
> ball entering at the back of the head and coming out at the center of
> the right cheek, causing instant death

Hello,

Here's what I found on homepoker.com, talking about a newsgroup thread about
the dead man's hand :

Exhibit A (courtesy of Wayne Cowey): The transcript of McCall's trial, for
having shot Hickok, has a witness claiming that the fifth card was the jack
of diamonds.

Exhibit B (suggested by NewJane1): The card used in the re-creation of the
shooting in Deadwood, as well as the card supposedly suggested by other
eyewitnesses is the nine of diamonds.

Exhibit C (courtesy by Tbill): The card that Tbill, going by memory, claims
to be on display in the Deadwood museum is a red queen, but it was later
confirmed that it is the five of diamonds that is on display in Deadwood.

Brice.