Re: [DL] Blessed Hucksters

At 07:07 AM 7/8/2002 +0300, you wrote:
 >>  >The only Blessed/ AB combo that makes sense to me would be an Buddhist
 >Monk,
 >>  >combining the blessed and enlightened backgrounds.
 >> Just.  Say.  No.
 >> This is IMO the most abusable combo out there.  Even if it makes sense
 >> thematically, veto any player wanting to do this.
 >
 >I guess one must consider who's going to play the character. I'd have no
 >problems letting a good player take the combo.
 >The two ab's and all the necessary skills take so much points that when
 >creating such a character, that it could not be very good in anything.

Not true.  Do the math.

A martial artist requires 6 points of edges.  Martial arts and AB: Enlightened.
Then they put a d12 into spirit and 5 into Chi.  That gives them 5 Chi
powers.
Then they need to put some points into Fightin' Martial Arts.  - might as
well as put in 5, to gain the 5 extra martial arts maneuvers.

Now you add in three points for AB: Blessed.
The D12 in spirit - oh wait - that's a double bonus as it's already coming
from the martial artist side.
And then 5 points in faith for 5 blessed powers.

So - for 9 edge points and 15 character points, the character gains a kick
ass combat skill, and 15 "powers" 5 martial arts maneuvers, 5 blessed
gifts/miracles, and 5 chi powers.

Even if a player took 6's in Cog, Int and Know they can take 10 points of
hindrances and have 4 points left over.  More points if they have a few
d8's thrown in there.  Though, to be honest, they aren't likely to have
much more as they are likely to save their other high rolls for Vigor
(strain), Str (damage) and most importantly Nimbleness for the base die
type of martial arts.  Let's figure they dropped a d8 in there somewhere -
so they get 6 points to spend on non-combat skills.

Just how many points does the average gunslinger spend on non-combat
skills?  Let's see, they start with 20-22 points for skills (and that's
being generous) and 10 points for hindrances.  Minus say 6 points in edges
(and that's going light).  That leaves, say, 24 points on skills.  -5 for
shootin something, -3 to tie in another shootin' type, - 5 points for
quickdraw and maybe -2 points into quickdraw.
That leaves 'em 9 points to spend on other things.

Oh boy.  3 more skill points does not compare favorably to 15 special powers.

Okay.  5 of those "special" powers are weaker as they are just special
maneuvers from martial arts.  But since the martial arts comes with
enhanced damage, a very high passive defense against other fightin'
attacks, no need for quickdraw AND you can never be without your weapon, I
think it balances out.

Oh - and I forgot - as a (probable) Zen Buddist, instead of Protection,
they get a free gift.

So that's 16 powers.

Let's look at some of the Gifts that are real sweet -
Gumption - one free reroll per game session.
Magic Resistant
Spiritual Giant
Restoration - nah - the self-healing Chi power is better
Guardian Angel
Hardy

Of course, one of these can be swapped for a roll requiring power, like
Dervish, Two Places, and/or Falter are disgusting.

Then there are the chi powers.
Monkey goes to the mountain and/or 10 ft punch - that way they can close
the distance with gun shooters.
Blood of Gold to heal.
And, well, after everything else that the munchkin has, what does it really
matter what the last two power are - I like Many Arms of the Spider, mixed
with Dervish and the Spin Kick maneuver.
And seize the pearl of death  - one power - totally negates all 20 points
that the gunslinger might have spent. . .

Even if you don't get a munchkin in place, and you get someone who for some
reason decides to not take complimentary powers, the sheer volume of
special abilities given to such a player (16!) guarantees that they will
dominate over any other player in the game.  There is already a tendency to
blow off "mundane" types just to get the extra powers that AB's give on the
cheap.

Allan Seyberth
darious@darious.com

You can't conquer a truly free man