[DL] How Jokers Work

Greetings--

I had a strange thing happen today. I usually run Deadlands and HOE, but
had a chance to play with someone else running. During the session, our
characters got into a couple fights with some critters, and it was at
that time that I and the person who were running the game got into a
little argument. The argument was over how Jokers work for the Marshal.
We both agree that the rules quite explicitly state how Jokers work for
the players, but we disagree on one key part of how they work for the
Marshal. One of us feels that if the Marshal draws a black joker, then
the bad guys lose it and their highest other card, exactly how it works
for the players. The other person feels that the part of the rules that
talks about losing cards only applies to the players, not the Marshal,
and so if the Marshal draws a black joker,  he gets to use it as a
sleeved card.

So, which is right? Does the black joker only mess up the players? Or
does it hurt both the players and Marshal? Any info would be appreciated.

--David L. Hoff
dlhoff1@charter.net