RE: [DL] Freeing the Slaves

The induction of a limited number of blacks into the Southern army in return for freedom was very much a last resort, and not widespread (I believe it was only in and around Richmond and Petersburg). In the world of the Weird West the South is clearly not in such desperate straits, and total manumission is far beyond what actually happened.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mr. Christopher McGlothlin, M.Ed. [mailto:sosentinel@adelphia.net]
Sent: Thursday, 1 August 2002 10:46 a.m.
To: deadlands@gamerz.net
Subject: RE: [DL] Freeing the Slaves

At 06:34 PM 7/31/2002, Mr. Mark Chiddicks wrote:
>Absolutely - I have no problem with suspension of disbelief when the laws
>of physics or biology are messed with, but I expect human psychology to
>follow certain rules!
>
>i.e. I expect the Southern politicians to continue to behave like Southern
>politicians. If I wrote an adventure which depicted Bill Hickock leading a
>flower arranging class, people would laugh - if I depicted him as a
>werewolf, people would approve - there's some stuff you can do in fantasy
>that works and some stuff you can't.

         As far as manumission goes, Southern politicians in Deadlands
behave EXACTLY like they did in real life...I simply moved their real-life
actions back in time 5 months.
         The South offered freedom to its slaves in Deadlands the same way
it happened in real life, only a bit sooner. If five months strains
credibilty, then all I can say is I respectfully disagree.

Deo Vindice,
Mr. Christopher L. McGlothlin, M.Ed.

Educator & Freelance RPG Writer
Member, Academy of Adventure Gaming Arts & Design

"Look upon me! I'll show you the life of the mind!"
--Charlie Meadows (John Goodman), _Barton Fink_