RE: [DL] Freeing the Slaves

At 06:55 PM 7/31/2002, Mr. Mark Chiddicks wrote:
>The induction of a limited number of blacks into the Southern army in
>return for freedom was very much a last resort, and not widespread (I
>believe it was only in and around Richmond and Petersburg). In the world
>of the Weird West the South is clearly not in such desperate straits, and
>total manumission is far beyond what actually happened.

         Ahh, thank you, that's a bit more substantive.

         You are quite right to say things are not nearly so bad for the
South in DL when the issue of manumission comes up, but there are other
factors driving the issue: Tales o' Terror: 1877 and Back East: The South
lay them out.
         To be sure, the Confederate surrender in real life forces us game
writers to speculate on what happens past the spring of 1865, but as I
said, I simply moved actual historical events by five months and left the
actual consequences in place wherever possible. Everything else is based on
30 years of scholarship on the topic and what's already laid out in the DL
system.
         And that's about all I can say that hasn't already been said.

Deo Vindice,
Mr. Christopher L. McGlothlin, M.Ed.

Educator & Freelance RPG Writer
Member, Academy of Adventure Gaming Arts & Design

"Look upon me! I'll show you the life of the mind!"
--Charlie Meadows (John Goodman), _Barton Fink_