Re: [DL] Freeing the Slaves

I came late to this thread, but i'm understanding right, you are
objecting to the Deadlands history of the confederacy freeing the slaves?
I'm a civil war buff, and a confederate (civilian) reenactor. I've done
my research.

In real history, the Confederacy was courting the British for
possibilities of an alliance. At this point the reason for the war was
primarily stae rights as opposed to federal rights. Britain was willing
to support a war for that cause. Then Lincoln passed the Emancipation
Proclaimation. Britain then dropped the confederacy like a bad habit. I
thnik a lot of people out there think that Lincoln passed the
Emancipation Proclaimation, and then the civil war started. But Lincoln
eliminated slavery as a tactical move, not a humanitarian move. The
Confederacy was gonig to end slavery once the war was over, and once
Lincoln passed the EP, they couldn't to the same or they would lose face
with the world. Declaim cecesion and then obey the laws of the country
you're fighting? No way.

So in the deadlands world, where the Confederacy has a strong hold, they
would be more than comfortable to free the slaves. And since the slaves
were freed by their own government, and not what they viewed as a foreign
power, the hatred and racism would not be so strong.

Plus another peg on my soap box, there were two anti-slavery movements in
that time. Abolition and Emancipation. Abolitionists wanted the slaves
freed and given equal rights. Emancipationists wanted the slaves freed
and all sent back to Africa. Lincoln didn't pass the Abolition
Proclamation....

Take this witha grain of salt though. it comes from a young man in the
north whose slutty southern grandma said  grandpa was "colored". General
Lee was also my Great Great Uncle. No joke. But please note I said
General Lee. Not Robert E. Lee. My Great Great Unlces first name was
General and last name was Lee... God my family is full of
hillbillies..........

Dave