RE: [DL] Freeing the Slaves

-----Original Message-----
From: Markus Finster [mailto:markus.finster@chello.at]
Sent: Thursday, 1 August 2002 10:55 a.m.
To: deadlands@gamerz.net
Subject: RE: [DL] Freeing the Slaves

At 00:45 01.08.2002, Mr. Christopher McGlothlin, M.Ed. wrote:
 >         As far as manumission goes, Southern politicians in Deadlands
 >behave EXACTLY like they did in real life...I simply moved their real-life
 >actions back in time 5 months.
 >         The South offered freedom to its slaves in Deadlands the same way
 >it happened in real life, only a bit sooner. If five months strains
 >credibilty, then all I can say is I respectfully disagree.

Told you - a much better answer than any I could have given.
Thank you Chris, I didn't know that either.
But I guess, over here in Europe you hear only the big chapters of the
Civil War.

I remember asking in History Class, when we heard about the War of Northern
Aggression. ;-)
After two hours, the war was over, the North had won.
So I asked: What happenend in the South? And I got back: The slaves were
freed and the CSA seized to exist. The states became part of the Union again.

Only like 7 years later I heard about the whole Reconstruction era, which
finally filled the blanks - I never could imagine how two nations fight
each other, hundreds of thousands dead on either side - and after the wars
is over, both parts go back to normal as if nothing happened?

Then again we didn't hear much about Vietnam either - except that it happened.

Markus