RE: [DL] Freeing the Slaves

I wasn't really talking about battle - if the South had armed enough slaves to win the war (were that possible) they would have outnumbered the white soldiers & revolted. The Slaves had no love for the country, they were fighting because it meant freedom. Had they seen a quicker route the freedom (i.e. taking over Richmond and surrendering to Grant) they would, of course have done it. Hiring too many mercenaries (which is what they were - their service being paid for with their freedom)  is always a bad idea - ask Vortigern.
-----Original Message-----
From: DariusHellstrome@aol.com [mailto:DariusHellstrome@aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, 1 August 2002 1:59 p.m.
To: deadlands@gamerz.net
Subject: Re: [DL] Freeing the Slaves

I am not an expert in any way but if you were in the middle of a battle and suddenly shot your officers then tried to surrender there is a good chance you would be shot by both sides, the union because yiu could not explain fast enough and the confed because you were tratiors.

I personaly like harry turtledove's books leading up to the Great War.  They have an excellent extrapolation of what life would be like in the confederacy for blacks.