RE: [DL] Freeing the Slaves

I guess this discussion got out of hand - initially it was about an alternative history in a fantasy game world - in such a world I think simplifications are pretty natural. I also think that the majority of Southern politicians shared this simplistic view of slavery - they feared the armed negro, whether that fear was justified or not. As I said before, its not hugely ridiculous, its just one part of the Deadlands timeline that jars a little.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mr. Christopher McGlothlin, M.Ed. [mailto:sosentinel@adelphia.net]
Sent: Friday, 2 August 2002 1:20 p.m.
To: deadlands@gamerz.net
Subject: RE: [DL] Freeing the Slaves

At 05:09 PM 8/1/2002, Mr. Mark Chiddicks wrote:
>You may well be right. The only truth is that neither of us know for sure.
>I do know that many Southern politicians thought arming the slaves would
>be lunacy. I am however utterly certain that the vast majority of slaves
>wished to be free - you seem to doubt that.

         I don't think anyone doubts this, it's simply that you seem to
underestimate the complexity of this issue. Many slaves stayed with their
masters when they could have fled. Many took up arms against the Union,
some as late as March 1865. Many slaves were returned to bondage by Union
soldiers. Many were killed by men in blue.
         Most slaves wanted to be free, as a slave is wont to do. However,
I don't think it's a newsflash to say this. What fascinates most of the
people on this list is that the story is much more complex than that.
         Your statements, while knowledgeable--certainly much more so than
I get from most of my students, simplify issues many on this list have come
to treasure in greater detail.

Deo Vindice,
Mr. Christopher L. McGlothlin, M.Ed.

Educator & Freelance RPG Writer
Member, Academy of Adventure Gaming Arts & Design

"Look upon me! I'll show you the life of the mind!"
--Charlie Meadows (John Goodman), _Barton Fink_