[DL] Overreaction?

""All right, I've had it. I have been patient and now I
am angry.

The above is a load of road apples. I have played a
good number of the D20 games out there and they do NOT
force anything into any pattern, except for doing the
same thing that any game does; make rules that fit the
system. Is HOE just post-apocalyptic roleplaying
forced into the "pattern" of the Deadlands rules? is
this somehow wrong?""

etcetera:

A strangely personal reaction - just because I don't like a system you like does not mean I'm attacking you personally, you know. My post was about the pitfalls of generic systems, not any kind of an 'attack' on anyone or anything.

I certainly don't 'hang around' with anyone of the internet, intelligensia or not, and my opinions about D20 are totally my own.

My real objections to it are nothing to do with the mechanics, anyway, but they ARE off topic, so I'll not go into them again. (It has however lead to the creation of an utterly appalling travesty of a version of Call of Cthulhu).

Deadlands has some terrible rules (roll to hit, then for location, then for damage, then for wind, then for stun! Come on Shane what were you thinking when you invented that one?) and some excellent ones (cards for initiative, fate chips, the seperation of wounds and wind), but at least its primary motivation for existing is artistic. I don't think this claim can be made for DL or CoC D20.

D20 has its strengths though - it enables a silly one off game like the new 'Solid!' Blaxplotation game to exist when nobody anywhere ever would have bothered creating a system just for that genre and it has made D&D into a playable game. It also will make more people willing to try new things  -its not all bad.