[DL] Alchemy Question

Having poured over S&R, I find that I don't quite understand one of the limitations placed on Alchemy: that it cannot affect anyone other than the person using the potion/balm/etc.

The example given is that you can't make a potion that permits the drinker to shoot fireballs from his fingertips, because the fireballs would affect someone other than the drinker. But then (without the books in front of me), isn't there a 'fire-breathing' potion? What's the difference, other than range? For that matter, where do smoke capsules and sleep gas fit into that rule?

Is there some errata or other clarification I've missed?

My reason for wanting to know is that I was working on a few ideas for potions, but they 'affect' others when used. Conceptually, what do you think? (BTW, these are far from complete. I scribbled them together at work today, without any rulebooks to finish/polish them up with.)

Derek D. Bass
Etheric Musings - The Science of the Sons of Ether
http://www.steamenginechaos.com/mage/ether.htm

Undead Attractor – Anything doused with this otherwise odorless formula takes on a scent perceptible only to the undead. To Harrowed, walkin' dead, abominations and the like, the subject possesses a strong aroma of fresh brains. Any essentially mindless undead, like the walkin' dead, in the area will immediately converge on the subject in order to eat, preferring the subject to all other available targets. Harrowed, abominations and other "intelligent" undead will certainly notice the subject, but are free to act normally.

Undead Repellent – This formula creates a scent that is abhorrent to the undead (and given the aroma of the average corpse, that’s saying something). Mindless undead will attempt to keep a distance between themselves and the doused subject unless directly ordered to advance. They will, however, mill about the subject, attempting to find a way around the stench to reach the subject. If forced to remain close to the subject (such as by being trapped into a corner by the subject), the undead will advance and attack the subject until it is able to leave the area. For the formula’s duration, the user suffers the same penalties concerning animals as do the Harrowed.

Minor Malfunction – The formula works, but the smell is such that all living beings in the area of effect (including the wearer) must make a roll to avoid spending 1d4 rounds being violently ill.

Undead Mimicant – This oily, gray formula masks the wearer’s scent as a living being, making them appear, at least to mindless undead, to be a walkin’ dead. All mindless undead in the area will completely ignore the wearer for the formula’s duration. The user must cover themselves in the Mimicant in order for it to mask their scent. As the formula wears off, any undead in the wearer’s vicinity will start to detect the user’s presence, but will be unable to determine their location.

Minor Malfunction – The formula works, but only half as long as listed.
Major Malfunction – The formula works normally, but reacts with the wearer’s skin, causing it to turn gray and blotchy with red patches. For the next 24 hours, the wearer looks more than a little like a walking corpse and has the Ugly as Sin Hindrance.

--
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup