[DL] California's Government in DL?

I assume that a full reckoning (no pun intended) of California's government (if any) is given in The Great Maze, a boxed set I sadly don't yet own. (Don't cry for me, Argentina, since I was able to buy South O' the Border, Hell on Earth, The Wasted West, The Junkman Cometh, and Cyborgs, as well as the Knuckleduster Cowtown Creator all at once, on the happy occasion of my wife's new job as a fingerprint analyst. BTW, if anyone has _any_ forensic type questions, shoot 'em my way, and I'll get her now-professional opinion.)

Anyway, could some kind soul please sum up the condition of California's government(s)? I have an idea for a character who would be California's answer to Davy Crockett, in that he first serves California (either on the State or Federal level) before going on to become an adventurer-sort (i.e., PC) after the bottom literally drops out.

That's about it. I've done some basic research on California's government up to July 3rd, 1863, but I'd love some help with what comes after (at least, until I can OK another Deadlands-related splurge with my better half. :) )

Thanks in advance, all.

Derek D. Bass
Etheric Musings - The Science of the Sons of Ether
http://www.steamenginechaos.com/mage/ether.htm
--
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup