Re: [DL] Our first foray into DL Original Recipe

On Tuesday, September 24, 2002, at 09:22  AM, 3 Fingered Jack wrote:

> Hi Rich,
>
> My posse (also a former DLd20 group) is about to
> embark on my new campign using the regular books (and
> since I went out and bought most of them, I guess we
> should) so I'm glad to hear that your group took to it
> well. Let us know how things go once you jump head
> first into a campaign.

A lot would, to me, depend onh ow you ran DL d20... If you did a lot of
what the classic D&D gamer in me would call 'wilderness' and 'social'
adventures, the play style might not change that much... Now, the D&D
group I play with concentrates on dungeon-crawl adventuring, and that's
still a fun style, but from experience overly complex dungeon crawls
break down in Deadlands, where characters tend to just be built
differently... Characters need civilization (Or, in HoE, an appropriate
equivalent) and don't have the endurance for a long trek underground...
Wilderness gets around this, as the posse can easily take a cart or even
a steam wagon with them, but some types of 'D&D' style adventures just
won't work, while others are certainly ripe for stealing from. (I'm
considering using the classic 'Land beyond the Magic Mirror' if the
posse ever travels through the Hunting Grounds).

Please note that this is NOT intended as a flame to Deadlands Classic,
Deadlands d20, or D&D, AD&D1, AD&D2, or D&D3. or to any other games I
may have summoned images of. It's just that all games seem to have their
own style, and most role-players I know (not all) started out with
'dungeon crawl' D&D, then moved to find their preferred blend of Hack &
Slash and Social adventuring...
--
Brett

LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER
MAN? (Reaper Man, Terry Pratchett)