Re: [DL] Our first foray into DL Original Recipe

Rich Borges wrote:

>	Well, me and my group (formally a DL d20 group) tried our hand at the PEG
>way of doing things with a sort of "combat exercise." I wanted everyone one
>to get a rough idea of the way combat runs and what they can do. This was
>the first time through for everybody including me (the Marshal.) To say it
>went a little rough around the edges would be an under statement. But,
>everybody seems willing to learn and found some things they like about it. A
>couple of the guys are even going to be picking up the book (not bad if you
>ask me.) And hear I thought I was doing all wrong.
>	If anybody has any suggests for running combat smoother or any easy way to
>keep track of stuff...I am all ears. Thanks...

Greetings!

I agree with what most people have said so far about keeping combat
moving, using the mook rules, having a spare deck or two availiable,
etc. Here are a few suggestions of my own:

1) Get a bunch of those cheap d6's from your local gaming store, you
know, the ones usually sold for a buck a handful or so. Use them as
miniatures for the bad guys. You can easily keep track of how badly
wounded a mook is by what number is showing (6 = no wounds, any other
number = the number of wounds taken). The assortment of colors makes it
easy to keep track of who is who, such as having the black dice be the
guys with pistols, the blue dice are guys with shotguns, and the red die
is a guy with a flamethrower :-)

2) Have any of your spell chuckers do up a 3x5 card for each spell they
know. That way, instead of having to look through a 120 page book past
all of the spells they don't know for the one they want to cast, they
can just sort through a small stack of cards. I also use this for the
bad guys, writing down stuff like black magic powers. hexes, harrowed
powers, etc. In fact, if you have a bunch of cards made up, and you need
to quickly make up an NPC with some powers, you can just deal him out
some cards from the appropriate stack.

3) Don't drag out a combat that isn't important. If the players are
supposed to ambush some bad guys before making their way to the evil
villian's lair, don't spend chips to make the mooks take longer to kill;
if they take enough wounds to put them down, let them die. Save your
chips for the big fight with the evil mastermind. It keeps the session
moving, as well as making the final battle a true test of what your
heroes are made of.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head. Hope this helps.

--David L. Hoff
dlhoff1@charter.net