Re: [DL] Big money poker games

Here is a story you might find interesting from the
book Finding Pleasure in the Old West by David Dary.

What was described in its day as the world's biggest
poker match took place between Isaac Jackson, a
Colorado City, Texas, cattleman, and John Dougherty, a
well-known Arizona gambler.  The game was played in
Bowen's Saloon in Santa Fe, New Mexico, in the spring
of 1889.  According to the traditional account,
Dougherty raised the ante of the no-limit game until
there was more than a hundred thousand dollars in the
pot.  Jackson, out of cash, met Dougherty by writting
out a deed to his ranch alond with ten thousand head
of cattle.  Dougherty, by then also out of cash, wrote
something on a piece of paper, rose from his chair,
and walked upto L. Bradford Price, the territorial
governor, who happened to be watching the game.
Dougherty drew his gun and demanded that the governor
sign the paper.  Price did, and Dougherty tossed it
into the pot, announcing that the governor had just
deeded him the Territory of New Mexico, and he was
meeting Jackson's raise.  At that, Jackson is said to
have thrown down his cards in disgust.  The gambler
promptly returned the deed to New Mexico Territory to
the governor and bought drinks for the three hundred
or so people who where looking on.
                                      Horace Black

--- Vault Keeper <vaultkeeper@dupuis.shawbiz.ca>